Tap Water From Neti Pots Can Cause Death – Doctors warn, after brain-eating amoeba kills womanFAST COMPANY
It looks like tap water is getting contaminated over the limits in the US. Before it was revealed that tap water was full of toxic chemicals, like lead and arsenic, but now it is contaminated with even microorganisms.
If you are a user of a neti pot, which is used to clean out sinus cavities by pouring water through nasal passages, make sure not to use tap water. Doctors warn the users of neti pots to use only saline or sterile water after a woman died from a brain infection.
The brain infection was caused by a brain-eating amoeba. The woman who died was 69 years old, and she was using a neti pot with filtered tap water.
The amoeba was in the tap water and entered her brain, finally killing her. The doctor who treated the lady, Charles Cobbs, a neurosurgeon at Swedish medical center, Seattle, told Seattle Times in an interview, “When I operated on this lady, a section of her brain about the size of a golf ball was bloody mush. There was this amoeba all over the place just eating brain cells. We didn’t have any clue what was going on, but when we got the actual tissue we could see it was the amoeba.”
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, though these infections are rare, these amoebas can be found in freshwater and can enter the brain through mediums like a neti pot. In the last 10 years, there have been 34 such infections recorded all over the U.S.
They also clarified that you can’t get this type of infection by drinking contaminated water. They say northern states are more vulnerable to this type of infection than the south because of the warm weather that favors amoeba growth.