Water Fasting Benefits and Danger
As you can guess from the name itself, water fasting is a regimen to fast on water. Keep in mind that, when you run on such a regimen, you are not expected to consume fruit juices, tea, coffee, sweetened drinks, or any other beverages. Alternatively known as long-term fasting, if practiced in the right manner, water fasting can produce manifold benefits. However, there are some major disadvantages associated with it, as well. Hence, it makes sense to explore the picture from both these aspects.
Does water fasting offer any significant benefits?
- The biggest benefit of water fasting is that it boosts the immune system. As such, after a few days of water fasting, you are expected to acquire better healing capacities, and you can fight the attacks of various diseases and ailments. This will help you to lead a healthier and happier life.
- Running on water fasting, you can significantly overcome oxidative damages. These are the major threats to general health, and water fasting is a safe and effective measure to prevent these threats.
- As you run on water only, you can flush the toxins and wastes out of the body. As such, water fasting is one of the best ways to detox the body.
- Water fasting comes highly effective in lowering NF-KB activations.
- You can develop autophagy in the body with water fasting.
- Age-induced inflammations can be majorly prevented and reversed with water fasting.
As nothing under the sun is absolutely good or bad, there are some cons in adopting water fasting as well. Before you get started with water fasting, it is important that you have a precise idea about the probable threats as well.
What are the downsides of water fasting?
If you continue with this regimen for too long, there are chances for lactic acidosis that can even result in sudden death. However, such instances are more likely to appear in individuals with weak cardiac health. Hence, if you are among those, you should consult your doctor before you start to fast on water.
Likewise, as you don’t get any solid food, there are chances that you will suffer malnutrition that can take a devastating toll on your physical and mental health. Following are the other troubles that are likely to appear during water fasting:
- Retardation in the Electrolyte Homeostasis
- Chances of catching gout, troubles with the kidneys, and arrhythmias.
- Gouty arthritis, Normochromic anemia, and severe Normocytic are few of the lethal complications associated with Water Fasting.
Thus, before you get started, you should give due considerations to the pros and cons, and it will be wise to seek the advice of your doctor. Health experts suggest, rather than opting for water fasting, you can lower the consumption of protein in regular intervals, which is as good as fasting. This can produce much better results than water fasting and, most importantly, will enable you to escape the threats associated with fasting on water only.